Friday, July 2, 2010

Project #1-- T-Shirt Quilt

Ok, I've decided.  I've been planning to make a t-shirt quilt for about 5-ish years.  I've got a huge collection of old shirts of Tom's and mine.  I've even got a few dozen squares cut out.  As I've been looking online at pictures of t-shirt quilts, though, they all seem to feature the picture on the front of the t-shirt, something like this:

However, in my preparations, I got rid of the pictures and cut my squares out of the soft t-shirt backs.  The pictures were all weird and crinkly.  Some had chipping paint.  It didn't seem like the makings of a soft, patchwork quilt made from a collection of finely aged jersey cotton.  What I have to work with is a bunch of soft t-shirt cotton squares in a variety of my favorite t-shirt colors: grey, shades of blue and green, and a little pink.

I also don't want to make a plain block quilt.  I didn't find too many "outside the box" t-shirt quilts online.  These (below) were the best I saw.  I especially like the last one and am hoping to pull off something that cool (without the elaborate quilting over the top.)







I'd like a quilt that incorporates whole 12x12 (I think-- I haven't gotten them out of the closet yet) squares in with a variety of squares made up of many colors in some sort of arrangement.  I'll send you some of the squares I've got and you can cut them up and rearrange them in the patterns of your choice-- kind of like the one above.  The only real rule is that you cut straight lines with your squares and that all the squares end up the same size.  I'll include the sizes in with the squares when I send them out to you on Tuesday.  Tuesday feels like a good deadline since there's no way it'll be done by tomorrow morning and the post office will be closed until Tuesday for the 4th.  I'm hoping you wouldn't mind making a few, maybe 3 or 4 squares?

Anyway, I hope you like the idea and I'll post pictures of the materials and hopefully a couple of sample squares tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful...This is a great plan...How very green of you to recycle. I had a friend who made a small quilt using Chicopee High School tees hirts....it was fun to see. I look forward to it. There are 12 x 12 plastic squares at JoAnn's and Michaels that people can use to "square" their piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we planning on having another Craft Day with or without the quilt. I met up with Genna who is interested in Joining I think. I don't know about quilting....maybe yes maybe no...Her email is grazyna.peters@yahoo.com. She gave me her email so some interest is there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think we should plan another one-- this time with a fun project we can complete that day. Totally Gina friendly :) It would be fun to try those balls you showed us. Maybe we can get the other Peters ladies in on it too?

    ReplyDelete